Monday, May 16, 2011

Chapter 10-Up in Smoke

Kaicee and Erica were sitting in the Kane family’s backyard sitting at the patio table. Kendall was sound asleep in Kaicee’s arms. She was now a month old, Patrick’s season ended early which meant he’d be home any day now and Kaicee was dreading every minute of it. Kaicee and Erica were enjoying the rare warm day in Buffalo.

“Where’s mom and dad,” Patrick’s voice said breaking Kaicee from her thoughts and she had to resist the urge to slap him.

“They went out to get something to cook on the grill, they should be back soon,” Erica replied coldly to her brother.

Pat looked at Kaicee and walked into the house slamming the sliding glass door behind him without saying anything.

“It’s nice to know he acknowledged his daughter,” Erica said sarcastically and Kaicee rolled her eyes, “I mean you would think you leaving Chicago and coming home to Buffalo would teach him a lesson but no, he’d rather fucking party every night.”

“I’m done worrying about it and crying over it,” Kaicee replied, “Kendall is better off without him.”

Jackie and Jessica soon joined them at the table. Kendall was now awake and Kaicee excused herself to go inside and get a bottle for Kendall. Jessica and Jackie noticed how much Kendall looked like Patrick. She had his eyes and no doubt she had his hair. The blonde curls were starting to grow and when she would make certain faces, it reminded them of their brother.

Kaicee was in the kitchen boiling water on the stove to heat the bottle when Patrick came in.

“So, that was a cute stunt you pulled,” he said, “What gives you the right to take my daughter?”

Kaicee ignored him and started mixing the formula. Patrick rolled his eyes and walked into the living room.

“You have no reason to roll your eyes at me and what gave me the right to take her was the fact that she is MY daughter too,” Kaicee began, “And I was bringing her home to your family, it’s not like I was taking her to Mexico and never coming back. Another right I have is the fact that I have been more of a parent than you. You fucking went out the night of your daughter’s birth with your friends instead of staying in the hospital to try to get to know her. I don’t blame her if she grows up to hate you for not being there because we’re not coming back to Chicago once the season starts again. I hope you fucking die alone, you piece of shit.”

Kaicee tested the bottle on her arm and walked outside and took her daughter from Jessica and began feeding her, Pat stood up and walked outside.

“You’re a fucking bitch, do you know that,” he began not caring if his sisters were around, “I never should have fucking slept with you. I’ll do whatever the fuck I want; you’re not the boss of me. How do I even know that’s my kid? Being the whore you are, you could have slept with the whole fucking city for all I know. I’m sure your precious little Jonny would love to be the kid’s father since he fucking acts like he is.”

“Patrick,” Erica said, “Shut the fuck up.”

“Mind your own fucking business, Erica,” he snapped.

“No, I will not mind my own fucking business. She’s my fucking niece and Kaicee is my best friend, grow the fuck up and accept the responsibility that you have a fucking kid. Kaicee has been busting her ass and not sleeping at night taking care of your daughter that you could give two shits about. What you did that night at the hospital was unacceptable and I hope you regret it every damn day of your life but you won’t.”

“Fuck you both,” Patrick replied glaring at the two of them before walking into the house.

Later on that night, the whole family including Patrick and Kaicee were sitting outside eating dinner and trying to act normal. Kendall was upstairs taking a nap in her crib that was located in Pat’s room.

Kaicee had the baby monitor placed in front of her incase Kendall would wake up and would be crying. Kaicee was getting ready to take a bite of her food when Kendall began crying.

“Sit down,” Erica said, “Patrick will go get her.”

“I’m not getting her,” he replied taking a bite of his burger.

“Erica, it’s okay,” Kaicee smiled weakly, “I got it.”

“SIT THE FUCK DOWN,” Erica snapped, “PATRICK, GO GET YOUR DAUGHTER!”

“Fuck you, Erica.”

“Stop it,” Donna warned, “All you’re doing is upsetting each other and Kaicee. Let’s just have a nice family dinner.”

“Patrick’s not my brother,” Erica said, “If he was my brother, he’d be a man and go get his daughter that he doesn’t want anything to do with but newsflash Pat, she lives with us and she’s going to be around for the rest of your life. You might as well accept this shit now.”

“Shut the fuck up,” Pat said, “I told you to mind your business.”

“It’s all of our business,” Jessica finally spoke up breaking her silence, “I’ve remained neutral for too long because I love you and you know I’d do anything for you and you give us anything we want when we ask for it but Pat, Erica’s right. You have to learn to accept the responsibility that Kendall is your daughter. You’re just as guilty as Kaicee, you two created her but Kaicee is struggling Pat. She needs help, we’re trying to help her but Kendall needs two parents to love her not just one. Now go upstairs and get that baby before we all kick your ass, mom and dad included. Did you know mom cries every night because the Patrick she raised isn’t the Patrick that is sitting at this table right now with us? She wonders how you got to be the douche bag that you are.”

The table was in complete silence as Pat pushed his chair back and stalked off into the house. Kendall stopped crying over the baby monitor when they all heard the door to his room open up. As soon as Pat picked her up, she stopped crying.

Pat looked at his daughter who was cuddling into his chest and he almost felt sorry for everything he had said and done to Kaicee. Kaicee appeared behind him and Pat handed her the baby. She walked out of the room and Pat shut the door behind her. Pulling out his cell phone, he called James and asked him if he wanted to go out.

Donna was in the kitchen with Erica, Jessica, and Jackie when Pat came down the stairs dressed.

“Where do you think you’re going,” Donna asked.

“I’m going out!”

“Patrick,” Donna sighed, “No, you are not. After what happened at dinner, you need to be upstairs apologizing your ass off to Kaicee and you need to be spending time with Kendall. I’m not going to sit around and watch you act like a child. You’re an adult Patrick, and being an adult has responsibilities and it’s about time you accepted yours. You call James or whoever you’re going out with and you tell them that you are staying in tonight because that’s what fathers do, they put their children first.”

Patrick tried to argue but Pat Sr. came in the kitchen, “Don’t argue with your mother, I’m not defending you this time. You’re wrong, son.”

Pat rolled his eyes and went upstairs where he saw Kaicee coming out of her room, “Pat, listen, we need to talk.”

“No we don’t. I want to thank you.”

“For what?”

“For ruining my fucking life,” he replied slamming the door to his bedroom.

Kaicee fought back the tears that were threatening to fall and walked back into the room she shared with Erica. Kendall was on a blanket on the floor, picking her daughter up, she held her to her chest and rubbed her back while kissing her forehead.

Kaicee felt like she didn’t have anyone in her life. The Kane family was there for her but her parents still hadn’t bothered to contact her just to make sure she was okay and Pat didn’t care about her. She broke it off with Jon when she left Chicago. He told her he loved her and she didn’t answer back and told them they were better off as friends. Jon agreed knowing something else was the reason she didn’t bother to say those three words but he didn’t push the issue.

Erica came up the steps and smiled at Kaicee who was changing a sleeping Kendall’s diaper before putting her into a onesie so that she could put her to bed, “Are you okay,” she asked.

“Yeah,” Kaicee replied, “I’m fine, just glad Pat knows we are all against him.”

“He’ll come to his senses now that he knows how fed up everyone is.

“I’m going to go put her to bed,” Kaicee replied, “Thank you so much, for everything.”

“We love you like a sister,” Erica said hugging her before placing a kiss on Kendall’s head, “We’re happy you’re here with her.”

Kaicee smiled and walked down the hall, Pat’s door was now slightly cracked and she could see it was pitch black. She walked over to the crib by the window and placed Kendall down gently in the crib. Pat’s snores filled the room as Kaicee turned the mobile on above the crib.

“Night baby, I love you,” she whispered to her daughter making sure the baby monitor was on in case Kendall would wake up. Shutting the door behind her, she went back into her bedroom and grabbed her clothes that she slept in before heading off to take a shower. As the hot water streamed over her body, she closed her eyes letting the tears fall. The hot water relaxed her and she finished the shower when the water started to go cold.

Kaicee crawled into bed and fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. An hour later, she heard crying over the baby monitor. Climbing out of bed slowly and half asleep, she walked down the hall to Pat’s room. She noticed the light was on and she peeked through the door to see Pat holding Kendall on the bed rubbing her back soothingly.

Kaicee smiled and was about to open the door to go in when she heard Pat finally talk to his daughter, “Oh sweetie,” he began, “I don’t hate you, don’t ever think that. I love you and I promise I’m going to be the best daddy that I can be to you. I love mommy too.”

Kaicee wasn’t sure she had heard what she had heard, she was still half asleep. Deciding to ignore it, she opened the door.

“Hey,” Pat whispered, “You didn’t have to get up.”

“I didn’t know if you were home or not,” Kaicee replied standing against the door frame.

“Why wouldn’t I be home,” Pat snapped.

“I just figured you went out with James anyway,” Kaicee shrugged.

“Well, I didn’t,” he replied angrily and Kaicee sighed.

“Look, I’m not going to fight with you, it’s too late for that. I was thinking about taking her to either the zoo or the park tomorrow and you can come if you want, quite frankly I don’t care what you do anymore. Make sure you turn the mobile on before you put her back to bed,” she said walking out of the room and back down the hall to Erica’s room. She now doubted what she heard Pat say and she cried herself to sleep.

5 comments:

  1. i love the update! pat needs to stop being an ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh Patrick really pisses me off sometimes!!! I want to know why he is being such a jerk to Kaicee and why he "hates" her so much!
    I love it, can't wait for more!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its about time we got a update! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope his ass starts staying home with his daughter.

    ReplyDelete