Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chapter 4-Got a secret, can't keep it

The tension between Patrick and me the next day could have been cut with a knife. Donna and Pat knew why Patrick and I weren’t getting along but Erica, Jackie, and Jessica were completely clueless.

“Want to go pick some stuff up for the baby today,” Patrick asked when he passed me in the upstairs hallway after I had finished with my shower and got dressed.

I acted like I didn’t hear him before I opened the door to Erica’s room. Before I knew what was going on, Patrick had me pressed against the wall with his lips attached to mine. I wanted so bad to kiss him back but we all knew where that lead to and after our fight yesterday, I didn’t trust him anymore.

“Patrick, just stop,” I said pushing him away from me.

Patrick let me go without a fight and I walked into the room gently closing the door behind me, “I’m sorry,” he whispered on the other side of the door.

“You should have thought about that before you did what you did,” I replied.

“Just please, talk to me.”

“No.”

“Kaicee, please,” he pleaded and I sighed in defeat opening the door.

“You have five minutes.”

“I’m really and truly sorry, what I did was wrong. You didn’t deserve to be lied to.”

“Time’s up,” I said slamming the door in his face.

“Bitch,” he yelled on the other side of the door.

“DICKHEAD,” I shouted back before I collapsed on my bed in tears while clutching my stomach.

I was tired of crying over a guy that I didn’t even love and that even didn’t love me. I felt sorry for our baby who wasn’t even born yet and had two parents that don’t know what they want.

I closed my eyes and fell back asleep, a few hours later I woke up to my cell phone going off. I looked at the clock and it read seven pm which meant Pat was probably out at some bar fucking a random chick and drinking. Quite frankly, I didn’t care. He was a grown man and could do what he wanted.

I crawled out of bed and threw my hair in a ponytail before I washed my face and slipped into my pajamas.

I walked downstairs to get something to eat when I saw Donna, Erica, and Patrick sitting at the dining room table from the mirror by the steps.

“Patrick, how could you do that to her…and to us? She’s the mother of your baby and you better grow up and be a man before she walks out of our lives forever and we never get to see our grandchild and you never get to see your son or daughter,” I heard Donna say to Patrick who stared at the table the entire time.

“I don’t love her, mom.”

“Oh right, you loved having sex with her,” Erica sarcastically replied.

“Stay out of this, Erica.”

“I’m not staying out of anything, Patrick. She’s my best friend and you ripped her heart right out of her chest and walked all over it.”

“Enough you two…Patrick, go upstairs and apologize to her right now. I know she doesn’t want anything to do with you but please make things right for that baby’s sake.”

Patrick sighed in defeat and I walked down the steps the rest of the way and down the hall towards the dining room.

“Patrick, can we talk,” I asked and he looked up from tracing the ring around his glass and nodded his head.

I opened up the patio doors and sat down on the glider that over looked the entire backyard and swimming pool. Pat sat down next to me and grabbed my hand, I didn’t bother to pull away because I didn’t want us to fight anymore.

“Before you yell at me, please just hear me out. I’m so sorry from the bottom of my heart, Kaicee, I never meant to hurt you. I know we’re not together and we more than likely never will be but for our child’s sake I want to work everything out with you. We both created the life growing inside you and I wanted to continue living my life without giving any thoughts to how yours would change. I pray every night to God so that I can be a better person, I have a lot of growing up to do and I know that you do also and the baby could help us with that. Please don’t hate me, Kaicee.”

“I don’t hate you, Patrick,” I replied looking him in the eye, “I really don’t, I hate what you’ve become.”

“I hate what I’ve become too,” he whispered and I felt sorry for him so I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a hug.

“Until you go back to being who you were, I can’t trust you. We can be civilized with each other for the baby’s sake but I know as soon as I put all of my trust back into you, you are going to rip my heart out of my chest once again.”

Pat didn’t say anything and we sat there in silence, “Want to go swimming?”

“I just told you off and you want to go swimming,” I laughed and he cracked a smile.

“We can be friends, right?”

“I guess!”

“Let’s go then,” he said as he pulled his t-shirt and shorts off and ran down the steps of the deck before he dove in the pool.

“Come on, Kaicee,” he yelled and I rolled my eyes before I walked into the house and got something to eat before I went back to bed.

A few hours later, I was woken up by Patrick who informed me that we had a flight to Chicago the next day.

“Come on Kaicee, wake up,” Patrick whispered gently shaking me.

“I’m sleeping,” I mumbled curling into the pillows.

“You can sleep on the plane.”

“What,” I asked sleepily as I looked at my phone and it read 6:00am.

“My mom packed your suitcase last night and everything that you would need, come on get dressed, we’re going to Chicago.”

“Ha ha, good one Patrick,” I said rolling my eyes and laying back down.

“I’m being serious, Kaicee. The season is next month and I’m going back now so I have time to settle in. I want you there with me.”

“Patrick, we just got back on the right track with everything that happened the day before yesterday and I don’t want to ruin that by going to Chicago. Let me stay here for a little while and then when the time is right, I’ll come out.”

“NO,” Patrick said loudly, “You’re carrying my baby, I already have an OBGYN for you thanks to Brent’s wife now please don’t make me fight with you again.”

“FINE,” I growled and Pat smirked in victory as I got dressed.

We arrived at the airport and my stomach growled and everyone looked at me in the security line. Pat patted my stomach and laughed, “Someone’s hungry.”

“I really want Starbucks and either a bacon, egg, and cheese bagel from McDonald’s or a cinnamon roll for Cinnabon.”

“How about all three?”

“MMM YES! Patrick, you’re amazing.”

He laughed as our luggage was sent through the scanner and we walked through the metal detector.

“Are you excited about going to Chicago,” Pat asked.

“Eh, not really. I’m worried about what everyone is going to think of me since I’m pregnant and we’re not together.”

“Don’t worry about what people say, I’m going to stick by you no matter what.”

“You’ve said that before and look what happened.”

“Kaicee, I told you I was sorry.”

“I know you did but Patrick you have to see it from my point of view. I’m the one carrying the baby and when I’m hurt, they’re hurting too.”

“Let’s not talk about this, it will make the plane ride miserable.”

“I’m fucking hungry, are you buying me breakfast or what?”

“Will that shut you up?”

“It might,” I smiled.

“Well then, let’s go.”

I followed Patrick over to the McDonald’s where he ordered our food and he paid for it even though I told him not to. After I scarfed down my bagel sandwich and my hashbrown, Patrick bought me my double chocolate chip frappucino from Starbuck’s and my cinnamon roll.”

“You are going to get sick on the plane,” he said with a disgusted look as I crammed the cinnamon roll in my mouth.

“I’ll be okay, I’m going to sleep the whole time anyways.”

“Do you have your iPod?”

“We both have iPhones, dummy.”

“You’re a smart ass, do you have your headphone divider?”

“Yup!”

“Can I listen to your iPhone with you?”

“Yeah that’s fine. Hey, who’s picking us up at the airport?”

“Jon is, I’m sure you heard about him before.”

“Toews?”

“That’d be him!”

“Does he know about our uh…situation?”

“No, I didn’t know if you wanted anyone to know or not so I didn’t say anything.”

“Who are we going to tell people that I am?”

“Not everyone has to know who you are, I will tell Jon since he’s one my best friends but other than that we can say that you’re one of my sister’s friend’s who came to stay in Chicago with me since your family kicked you out. Well that’s true, but do you want them to know the baby’s mine?”

“What do you think?”

“We’ll tell Jon now and then when you have the baby, we’ll tell everyone else.”

“Okay,” I said as our flight was called. Pat was right, I spent half of the flight in the bathroom puking because of not only my morning sickness but the plane ride and the amount of food that I ate.

We landed in Chicago and I recognized Jon from the pictures on Erica’s phone, which was another story for another day that Patrick didn’t know about. Erica liked Jon but dating a teammate of Patrick’s was off limits.

“Hey Kaner,” Jon said when we walked over to him, “What’s up, man?”

“Not much just ready to play. How was your summer?”

“I trained the whole time and worked on a few things that I needed improvement on.”

“That’s great,” Patrick replied and I cleared my throat.

“I’m so sorry, I’m Jon,” he said sticking out his hand, “Kaner, I thought you were with Jenn.”

“I was with her,” Patrick replied, “She turned out to be a money grabbing whore.”

“You weren’t exactly perfect either,” I spat and Jon laughed.

“I’m Kaicee by the way.”

“Are you Pat’s new girlfriend?”

“No!”

“Well, if you’re not his girlfriend then who are you?”

“The mother of my baby,” Patrick responded and Jon laughed.

“That’s a good one, Kaner.”

“I’m being dead serious, she’s Erica’s best friend and we had a friends with benefits relationship and well we weren’t exactly careful and she’s two months pregnant as of today.”

“Holy shit,” Jon replied, “Well Kaicee, it’s good to know the kids are going to have great looks. I mean Kaner’s a stud and you’re very pretty.”

“Thanks Jon,” I blushed and Patrick smiled.

“Jon, please do Kaicee and I a favor and don’t say a word to any of the guys. The last thing I need is for Bur and Sharpie to find out. They’ll have it all over Chicago by the home opener.”

“You got it dude, you’re secret is safe with me.”

Pat rubbed my back reassuringly and we walked out of the airport, I just hoped our secret stayed a secret and that the whole entire city of Chicago didn’t find out before the start of the season.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so this story is absolutely amazing. I love it to pieces.

    I can understand why Kaicee is upset, but I am glad she decided to go to Chicago with Patrick. They need to at least be on good terms for the sake of the baby.

    Great update. Can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hopefully that secret stays secret for a while longer. cant wait to see what else happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg get them together, we all know its going to happen

    ReplyDelete